Unique Gambling Sayings You Should Know About
The gambling world, like any other, comes with its language and unique meaning.
As we grow up we learn the basic sayings and proverbs from our family, teachers, or friends.
However, involving yourself in a new niche requires an understanding of new terms.
Gamblers across the world use different sayings and expressions.
Simply learning 2-3 phrases from your friend, who likes to gamble, won’t do.
Instead, you can learn popular gambling sayings from different cultures and origins.
Once you master the language, it will be more fun to engage with other gamblers.
Classic Gambling Sayings
No matter where you come from, there are a few world-recognized gambling sayings or traditional proverbs.
- Lucky at cards, unlucky in love.
- Quit while you’re ahead. All the best gamblers do.
- In a bet, there is a fool and a thief.
- Never perform card tricks for the people you play poker with.
- With someone holding nothing but trumps, it is impossible to play cards.
- Nobody has ever bet enough on a winning horse.
- It is better to trust in knowledge than in luck.
- The lottery; a tax on people who are bad at math.
- Know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em.
- The best throw of the dice is to throw them away.
- Luck has a slender anchorage.
- No one is luckier than him who believes in luck.
- There is no better gambling than not to gamble.
- Luck sometimes visits a fool, but it never sits down with him.
- There are two great pleasures in gambling: that of winning and that of losing.
- There is no lock on the purse of a gambler.
- Gambling is the son of avarice and the father of despair.
- At the gambling table, there are no fathers and sons.
- If you must play, decide upon three things at the start: the rules of the game, the stakes, and the quitting time.
- He who can persuade someone not to gamble has earned money for him
- In gambling, winning money results in losing money.
- Luck never gives; it only lends.
- The shovel insults the poker.
- A spoiled son becomes a gambler, while a spoiled daughter becomes a harlot.
- Every dog has his day in luck.
- Throw a lucky man in the sea and he will come up with a fish in his mouth.
Other Sayings and Famous Quotes
The above-mentioned sayings are typical for certain countries and their culture.
However, there are countless quotes and proverbs from famous gamblers.
Some of them are wise and inspirations, some are humoristic, and some quotes discourage gambling as well.
Some authors like to point out the obvious, such as George Bernard Shaw stated that ‘In gambling, the many must lose so that the few may win’.
Others justify the act of gambling, such as Edmund Burke saying that ‘Gambling is a principle inherent in human nature.’
All in all, different players have different feelings toward thecasino and express their opinions accordingly.